Reasons to choose the
Medalist 870 Folder
The Challenge folder was introduced in 1989. Challenge
engineering is continually striving to make the 870 and 820 the leaders
in tabletop folding. The latest Challenge folder introduced in 1996,
the Medalist 870, combines superior engineering with operator convenience
to provide outstanding folding ease and productivity.
The Challenge Medalist is UL approved. The features
of this folder include:
- Rugged 3/8" side frames provide for heavy-duty use. Additionally,
centralized 3/8" outboard side frames firmly secure the nest of
rollers. The five steel tie bars are 5/8" thick, securely bolting
and locking the side frames together. No shims are used during production.
The frame specifications are exact or the frame is scrapped.
- 1-1/2" diameter combination rollers provide a positive
yet gentle grip on the paper, a tight fold and won't curl heavy
stocks like smaller diameter rollers.
- Ball bearings nest the main roller and the slitter shafts.
The idler rollers are in oil-lite bronze bearings.
- Steel gears drive the rollers quietly and with precision.
- Caliper settings are easy to use and provide positive
sheet control through the rollers.
- Control panel has been centralized for easy access from
either side of the folder.
- Total counter to 99,999 is standard equipment, not an
- Jam detector is standard equipment at the delivery and
will prevent a little problem from becoming a major one. Among table
top folders, only the Medalist has this time and stock saving feature.
- Long delivery is optional and provides an additional 14"
of delivery length.
- Slitter shafts are a rugged 7/8" diameter, and may be
easily accessed without removing the side covers to change perf,
slit and score attachments.
- Standard attachments include one thin scoring blade, two
scoring blocks, one rubber scoring tire, one 41-tooth perf blade,
one perf stripper, one perf block, one blade holder and two extra
- Gast pumps are provided by the leading USA pump manufacturer.
They are sealed and maintenance free except for routine dry filter
cleaning. The ring compressor and vacuum unit are separate to improve
efficiency and reduce noise.
- Feeder accepts 4" x 6" to 14" x 20" stock in a lift up to
a full two inches. Multiple air ports on each side guide insure
the paper will be floated for problem-free feeding. The feeder is
hinged to provide easy access to the down fold plate. The side-mounted
vacuum advance controls the vacuum position of the sucker wheel.
The sheet separator is metal and fully adjustable both vertically
and horizontally to provide accurate feeding for a wide variety
of paper stocks.
- Stock weight specifications range from 9# bond to 65# cover.
It will fold heavier stock, but the quality and grain of the paper
will determine whether the finished product is acceptable to the
- Speed of up to 30,000 sheets per hour (SPH) of 8-1/2"
x 11" stock.
- Fold plates are anodized aluminum with dual control of the
fold stop to provide strength and accuracy. The plates feature
channel construction that reduces static and friction for more consistent
folding. Other table top folders commonly have flat stamped plates.
The swing deflector moves into or out of position as it is needed.
There is not a loose deflector piece to be misplaced.
- Sound hoods are standard and enclose both the up and down
- Right angle folding may be added at any time. It will
allow for either left hand or right hand delivery at no additional
cost. During peak folding demand, the right angle can be converted
to a parallel folder by adding a feeder, deliver and pump. A right
angle may be added to any SRA3 already in the field.
- Made in the USA. The Challenge Medalist folder is designed
and manufactured in Grand Haven, Michigan. This eliminates problems
with foreign currency fluctuations, international shipping schedules
and parts availability.
The Challenge Medalist 870 folder provides many of the features of
a floor model folder in an economical table top design. Currently, the
Challenge Medalist is the best tabletop folder value on the market.
See a side-by-side comparison of the Challenge
Medalist and its closest competitor.
Print & Finishing Solutions
1632 Sierra Madre Circle
Placentia, CA 92870 USA